Sun, Jul 02|
BiblioWhims Book Club, June's Read
June's book is The Power by Naomi Alderman. We will meet on July 2nd (before your Independence Day barbecue).
When & Where
Jul 02, 2023, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Shaded Whimsy, 76 N Main St, Southington, CT 06489, USA
About This Event
June's read is Naomi Alderman's The Power.
In THE POWER, the world is a recognizable place: there's a rich Nigerian boy who lounges around the family pool; a foster kid whose religious parents hide their true nature; an ambitious American politician; a tough London girl from a tricky family. But then a vital new force takes root and flourishes, causing their lives to converge with devastating effect. Teenage girls now have immense physical power--they can cause agonizing pain and even death. And, with this small twist of nature, the world drastically resets.
If you've read my bio, then you know that I L-O-V-E, love to read! Obviously, Shaded Whimsy has to have a book club.
I'm taking my cues from some of the best book clubs out there. Here's what you can expect:
- No pressure! Take a month off. Take lots of months off! Come back to join us when you're ready.
- Didn't finish the book? You're welcome to come regardless (as long as you don't mind spoilers).
- Be honest about what you thought! Is everyone else raving about what they read while you thought it was hot garbage? Tell us! Discussing our differing perspectives helps us to learn, grow, and evolve.
- Come with suggestions for our next book! Something you've been dying to read? Something you've already read and know everyone should read once? Share it with us, puh-lease!
- This is a pay-what-you-want ticketed event, to help offset the costs of refreshments (and rent!) Pay what you want, or can, including nothing at all!
I encourage purchasing used books from locally run bookstores when you can. This not only helps to support local businesses, but it also keeps others' unwanted books out of the trash.
- The Book Barn in Niantic is a Connecticut treasure. Make the trip if you can.
- ReRead Books in Cheshire employs young adults with special needs. Give them your business.
Please let me know of other good used bookstores in Connecticut!
If you are not finding what you are looking for locally, consider buying used books from an online retailer.
If you'd rather not spend ANY money, go to your local library! In Connecticut, you can get a library card in the town where you reside, then take that card to any other library in the state for access!
BiblioWhims Book Club
This is a pay-what-you-want ticketed event to help offset the costs of refreshments (and rent!) Pay what you want, or can, including nothing at all!Pay what you wantSale ended